If you have been living somewhere cold, it is tempting to quickly expose of all our skin when the summer sunshine first hits. However, to ensure our skin does not burn and stays healthy & youthful (less wrinkles and sun spots), below are 5 simple steps to follow:
1) If you wear foundation or mineral makeup, look for one that already includes an SPF in it. This is an incredibly simple way to ensure your face is always protected. Make sure to use a natural and cruelty free makeup as well. Make-up that is tested on animals is always full of toxins that are harmful to our body (that is why it is necessary to test them on innocent animals in the first place). I personally use and adore Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage which you can find here. This product contains a broad spectrum sunscreen SPF of 25. I wear this even in winter as UVA/UVB rays are still present and can reflect off the white snow.
2) Use a toxin-free sunscreen line. Many popular sunscreen brands have been found to have harmful ingredients that negatively impact not just our skin, but our internal organs and endocrine system as well. Finding the right sunscreen that is safe for you and your family can be overwhelming so I suggest using an excellent website from the Environmental Working Group. All you have to do is input your product name and it will tell you exactly what is inside of it and what it actually means to your body and families' health. Access their wonderful website here!
3) Put your sunscreen or sun cream on before you go outside. Most products recommend 15-20 minutes to ensure the protective ingredients adequately saturate your skin. This means you will be protected from UVA and UVB rays the second you step outside, decreasing your chance of burning and aging your skin more rapidly. BODYCHERISH just launched a Natural Sun Cream which contains organic ingredients and an estimated SPF of 20-25. If you'd like to learn more, click here.
4) Hydrate your skin after every bath or shower with a natural or organic body oil or butter. This step is important in summer and not just in winter when skin tends to get dryer. This provides your skin with nourishing ingredients that are chalked full of anti-oxidants and age defying properties (this means supple and soft skin year round). BODYCHERISH has an excellent selection of luxury, organic beauty butters and oils. You can explore them here.
5) Remember to reapply and cover up! Unless specified, most sunscreens are not waterproof or heavy sweat proof. Also, there is such a thing as too much sun and so whenever you know you will be outside for a longer length of time, be sure to adequately pack. Items such as hats, sunglasses and swimsuit covers can be wonderful for protecting us from skin damage (deep wrinkles and leathering looking skin); especially when worn during peak UVA/UVB levels, which is often between 11 AM and 3 PM.
That's it Green Beauty Goddesses! Hope you are able to get outside and enjoy this summer sunshine in a happy, healthy and safe way :)